1997-01-18 - Re: Enough is Never Enough – pro-CDA alliances, from TNNN

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 587054741fac22434d8f762657b7661c2e1bd202c66798421512d8ae61a0c3ee
Message ID: <32E15626.78C6@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <199701180608.AAA17196@nic.stolaf.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-18 20:58:47 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:58:47 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:58:47 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Enough is Never Enough -- pro-CDA alliances, from TNNN

Sir Robin of Locksley wrote:

 >  >       Donna Rice-Hughes from Enough is Enough says: "It discusses
three
 >  >   primary areas of our concern: letting the court know the
problems on
 >  >   the Internet. Adult pornography, indecency, and child porn as
well.

 >  Now it's porn, tomorrow it's you saying what
 > you beleive (that might also be the truth...)
 > If one is offended by something, don't look! How come Catholicism
doesn't get
 > banned and outlawed? Hell, it offends me...

   I'm afraid that you are in the minority in your beliefs, at least
 here on the CypherPunks list.
   Most CypherPunks believe that we need a higher authority to protect
 us from things that we don't want to see.  Most CypherPunks see that
 Beneviolent Moderation is a good thing, as was made plain from the
 discussions on the list in this regard, so I assume that they would
 not be so hypocritical as to oppose the attempts of others to bring
 the blessing of Beneviolent Moderation to everyone on the InterNet.
   I expect the majority of CypherPunks will be more than willing to
 throw their support behind efforts to remove pornography from the
 whole InterNet, just as they were eager to remove posts containing
 'bad words' from this list.

   Of course, you must realize that I don't pretend to speak for
 all CypherPunks subscribers--only for the upright, decent ones,
 who, like Donna Rice-Hughes, want to live in a safe, filtered
 world, free from the intrusion of wrong-thinkers.
  Some of the CypherPunk subscribers seem to favor taking personal
responsibility for what they chose to read or not read, but they
are just a small, troublesome minority on the list.

  Donna Rice-Hughes and her crowd are merely late-comers on the
moderation scene, trying to emulate the 'good' CypherPunks who
finally stood up and said, "Enough is enough."

 Toto

Thread