1997-01-30 - Re: Machine readable form (was:RE: [DES] DES Key Recovery Project, Progress Report #7)

Header Data

From: Anil Das <das@razor.engr.sgi.com>
To: cryptography@c2.net
Message Hash: 5b9568c777e5424d9fe723ae2eb1fd55897292935c2a6f2efadccf46a71019cf
Message ID: <199701300055.QAA18485@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 16:55:59 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Anil Das <das@razor.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 16:55:59 -0800 (PST)
To: cryptography@c2.net
Subject: Re: Machine readable form (was:RE: [DES] DES Key Recovery Project, Progress Report #7)

On Jan 29,  2:23pm, Phil Karn wrote:
> Subject: Re: Machine readable form (was:RE: [DES] DES Key Recovery Project
> I think you're being far too subtle here. The issues have been clearly
> drawn in my case. The government is also now officially on record as
> reserving the authority to regulate the exports of even paper copies
> of cryptographic source code (e.g., books).

	But isn't your case still based on the arbitrariness of
prohibiting the export of a floppy while allowing the export
of a book containing the same information, unlike the Bernstein
case, which is based on the constitutional protection for free speech?

	That is the impression I got from the various press reports
and web pages.

--
Anil Das

Thread