1997-01-21 - Re: GSM technology

Header Data

From: Asgaard <asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5bff3d31dca41997596a3aa657f78fffd584c057c9e0c9971561efa6a1cf48ab
Message ID: <199701210057.QAA24939@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:57:51 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Asgaard <asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:57:51 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: GSM technology

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Adam Back wrote:

> into the data port.  You can't fit the laptop and GSM phone
> combination into your shirt pocket.  What are you going to use for a

With a reasonably sized shirt pocket you can fit a Nokia 9000
Communicator into it: a combination of GSM phone and 386 computer,
with 6 MB storage (OS and default applications use 4 of those)
and 2 MB RAM. It runs fax, SMS (Short Messages Services), a Terminal,
SMTP, IMAP4, MIME1, WWW and telnet. The operative system is GEOS
(tm) 3.0. I guess it's not very programmable though (and there is
no PGPhone implementation for GEOS) and data speed is only 9600 bps.
And there is probably no connection between the mic/speaker and
the computer.

But it's only 173 x 64 x 38 mm, and perhaps the next generation of such
devices might be interesting for reengineering into secure end-to-end
crypto phenes?

Asgaard

Thread