1997-01-14 - Re: New US regs ban downloadable data-security software

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5c05df33084fb657ace6994440f2772fd88382bb28163ec71816cb39df771446
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970114105355.00639b20@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 12:08:00 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 12:08:00 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: New US regs ban downloadable data-security software

>> Therefore, it would seem that, as long as the security software on your ftp
>> or WWW site is free of cost, it is OK to keep it there.  Commercial
>> security software, however, remains export-restricted.

>  I can't believe that there's no one taking advantage of this to make a
>'shareware' version of their software available, and having available,
>for export and sale, an 'enabler' to bring it to full functionality.

In particular, if you allow free non-commercial evaluation of beta software,
e.g. McAfee's virus protection software, that would probably qualify.

It's interesting that they've structured their requirements to try to stay
within the Constitutionally authorized powers (regulation of interstate
and foreign commerce) while leaving out freeware which might lead to
an annoying legal challenge.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread