1997-01-20 - Re: GSM technology

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Message Hash: 5ee5ce09be1e5ce8ea9c8b313f1c4989271852dd7e7e4d77ac34c9d3757bbbcf
Message ID: <v02140b02af0973d64630@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 14:47:43 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 14:47:43 -0800 (PST)
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: GSM technology

>Steve Shear <azur@netcom.com> writes:
>> [very useful explanation of GSM TDMA, and the new HSCSD]
>
>64 kbit/s tied to ISDN is very nice technology.
>
>> ENCRYPTED GSM LINKS
>> If the GSM phone includes a data port, as some already do, just connect
>> your laptop, dial your ISP and 'push' the encrypted traffic over that link
>> (e.g., using TCP/IP and PGPfone).
>
>This would obviously be possible, but to my mind reduces the appeal of
>the system.  Not every one has a laptop.
[snip]

Retrofitting the stonger encryption (e.g., IDEA) to some existing GSM
phones may be practical (as I've discussed in previous postings), but
unless the service providers support the stonger crypto (seems very
unlikely at the moment)parties at the other end of the line will need an
Eric Blossom-like device or a laptop running PGPfone.  I can see no way
around this.

>Also, the cell phone tarriffs may be higher if you need higher
>bandwidth to get the software only voice codec implementations in
>PGPfone to produce equivalent full-duplex voice quality to that
>expected from a digital mobile phone.

I may be wrong, but the faster laptops are already able to support the GSM
codes and rates in PGPfone (or could).  However, most of the service
providers may only be offering 9.6kb/s GSM data links at this time, and
this would surely impact voice quality.  If or when 28.8kb/s data is common
via GSM voice links via PGPfone should be better than the default GSM coded
voice.

--Steve

PGP Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Steve Schear (N7ZEZ)     | Internet: azur@netcom.com
Lamarr Labs              | Voice: 1-702-658-2654
7075 West Gowan Road     | Fax: 1-702-658-2673
Suite 2148               |
Las Vegas, NV 89129      |

Internet, electronic currency and wireless development

        1935 will go down in history! For the first time a civilized
        nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer,
        our police more efficient, and the world will follow our
        lead in the future!
            --Adolf Hitler

Thread