1997-01-02 - Re: Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice

Header Data

From: ABB Electrical Engineering <abbee@ritsec1.com.eg>
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Message Hash: 6ca7abe12c08a40e8bf43f6656c5995a46ea15f22d34d74e3234c7fd31346fc3
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.94.970102084101.17361A-100000@ritsec1.com.eg>
Reply To: <32CB2A77.218F@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-02 06:41:08 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 22:41:08 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ABB Electrical Engineering  <abbee@ritsec1.com.eg>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 22:41:08 -0800 (PST)
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice

Again, can anyone tell me how I can stop receiving this mail. I have to
stay off for a month and I am afraid I will not be able to read it.

Thanks & Happy New Year

On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, Dale Thorn wrote:

> Bill Frantz wrote:
> > At 10:54 AM -0800 12/31/96, Timothy C. May wrote:[snip]
> > I would say that the street action which effectively eliminated legally
> > mandated racial segregation about 25 years ago qualifies as a revolution.
> > People certainly put their bodies, and occasionally their lives, on the
> > line for it.  It didn't happen because the political powers that be decided
> > to do it.  It happened because people mobbed in the streets and made it
> > happen. The same argument applies to the actions which forced the withdrawal
> > from Vietnam. With the end of the cold war, and the ensuing reduction in
> > need for the entrenched national security establishment, we may be ripe
> > for another one. I personally hope our government will continue to show
> > that it is civilized by keeping the blood shed to a minimum.
>
> I'll tell you exactly what they'll show.  They are a *lot* more hardened
> to civil unrest than they were at Kent State, etc.  This time, as in the
> late 1970's, the leaders, organizers, and other influential people will
> be removed, one way or the other.  Dissidents will be allowed, as long
> as (like Chomsky) they're not a real threat.

Thread