1997-01-26 - Re: PGPmail for Windows, Version 4.5

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7123d6f7cf5881773c702006c248495bf9f7ef6e964c0a0917d481df838ef1a9
Message ID: <BaN61D3w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <3.0.1.32.19970126111938.0065b868@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-26 21:32:31 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 13:32:31 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 13:32:31 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PGPmail for Windows, Version 4.5

Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> At 11:45 AM 1/26/97 -0500, Duncan Frissell wrote:
> >Anyone running Windows 95 who hasn't grabbed the beta of PGPmail 4.5 from
> >http://www.pgp.com/ is crazy.  It works seamlessly with Netscape 3.0 and
> >Eudora Pro 3.0.  The 30-day demo of Eudora Pro is at:
> http://www.eudora.com/prodemo/.
>
> PGPmail 4.5 now has beta 10 available - the download is smaller than beta 9.
>
> Eudora Lite 3.0.1 also supports plugins, so it should work.
> It also supports filters, which has allowed probable flames to
> quietly vanish from my inbox :-)
>
> BTW, from a non-government-user perspective, the questions asked to establish
> export permission are nicely worded.  Rather than asking
> "Are you a US Subject", and "Do you agree to follow every vague
> detail of the Export Laws", as some sites do, it asks
> > - Is the requesting computer located within the United States? [N/Y]
> > - Do you acknowledge affirmatively that you understand that PGPmail is
> > subject to export controls under the Export Administration Act and
> > that you cannot export the software without a license? [N/Y]
> > - Do you certify that you are not on any of the United States Government's
> > lists of export-precluded parties or otherwise ineligible to receive this
> > transfer of cryptographic software subject to export controls under the
> > Export Administration Act?
> and then has a button saying
> 	"I certify that the above answers are truthful",
> which is flexible enough that I don't have to feel bad about not being
> _absolutely_ certain that my packets aren't getting routed through Canada,
> or that I'm not on some list that bans telephone company employees from
> downloading cryptographic software on Tuesdays, or whether
> computers 30 feet above the US are subject to this week's export rules :-),
> or having to say "No" to Question 2 because I understand that you _can_
> export this software without a license (just do it) even though the Feds
> disapprove....
>

> #			Thanks;  Bill
> # Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
> # You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/pgp
> #     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

It doesn't seem to work with the mail program in MS IE, or MS WordMail.
I understand why some people don't like Microsoft, but excluding
support for popular Microsoft programs seems contrary to their
stated goal of promoting the use of crypto.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM