1997-01-23 - Re: Decision in Karn Case

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: Anonymous <lucifer@dhp.com>
Message Hash: 8fed3c64048af31ccd76d2a5f0813216fe2a9eb6345c6d7f5a05eeaea0ca185a
Message ID: <32E75F2A.5E79@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <199701230056.QAA02134@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-23 13:43:23 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 05:43:23 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 05:43:23 -0800 (PST)
To: Anonymous <lucifer@dhp.com>
Subject: Re: Decision in Karn Case

Anonymous wrote:
> >     In light of the recent Executive Order transferring
> > regulatory authority of non-military cryptographic computer
> > source code to the Commerce Department, and the Commerce
> > Department's promulgation of a new regulation under the authority
> > of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, 50 U.S.C. secs.
> > 1701 et seq., we remand this case to the district court to
> > consider the reviewability of and, if appropriate, the merits of
> > appellant's claim under the Administrative Procedure Act.
>
> And when that review finally reaches the appeals court,
> the administration can move the regulations to the state department.

  Look on the bright side. Maybe they'll move them around so much that
they'll lose them.

> The uniqueness of the anti-crypto regulations is that it is a law
> against intellectuals and academics. These people will not be willing to
> break the law and then challenge its constitutionality in the courts,
> or engage in any kind of civil disobedience demonstration.

  That is why the thugs and the brown-shirts always start by attacking
scattered individuals and those they can easily brand 'troublemakers.'
(Only in rare instances, do they start with Doctors).
  The intellectuals and academics might, at best, utter a few tut-tut's,
and by the time that the rule of force has become the order of the day,
there is no longer anyone 'below' them left free to object to the
attacks
on themselves.

Toto

Thread