1997-01-21 - Re: Newt’s phone calls

Header Data

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@issl.atl.hp.com>
To: Cypherpunks List <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 912d3ed3f1d6f8f47633fdafa4561df58b3ee86f38c16e1f66b16817405d98c1
Message ID: <199701212027.MAA11296@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:27:02 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@issl.atl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:27:02 -0800 (PST)
To: Cypherpunks List <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Newt's phone calls

Phillip M. Hallam-Baker writes:

> >No, the real danger in weak crypto is that the poorly-informed will not
> >think about it *at all*.  If we had "poor crypto", Newt probably wouldn't
> >have been embarrassed by this sort of casual interception, and the issue
> >wouldn't have been raised in the public mind.  But our communications
> >still wouldn't be safe from more determined attackers.  Brouhahas like
> >these are good for the pro-(strong-)crypto agenda.
>
> Not the way we've being going on, Zero coverage of the
> crypto issue, zip, nada.

It was pointed out (in network newscasts, for example) that cellular
communications are completely unprotected and available for the taking
by anyone with a radio scanner.  I count this as good exposure even if
the alternatives weren't explicitly discussed.

-- Jeff

Thread