1997-01-25 - Re: Encrypting ZIP disks

Header Data

From: Leonid S Knyshov <wiseleo@juno.com>
To: jer+@andrew.cmu.edu
Message Hash: 9b38630f8d9bdf56d11970a9fdbba6e539b6a2281ac57f68fb66cfafc6669449
Message ID: <199701251725.JAA28995@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 09:25:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Leonid S Knyshov <wiseleo@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 09:25:45 -0800 (PST)
To: jer+@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: Encrypting ZIP disks

>"David E. Smith" <dsmith@prairienet.org> writes:
>> 7.  Secure sensitive files.
>>      To keep sensitive or confidential information safe, store it
>>      on a Zip disk and use your Zip Tools software to assign a
>>      password that must be used in order to read from or write to
>>      the disk.  At work, you can protect sensitive information
>>      such as personnel files, company directories, and product
>>      plans and designs.  At home, you can secure personal
>>      information such as tax records, budgets, and computerized
>>      checkbooks.
>
>FWIW (not much), Iomega claims that it can't recover the data on a
>password-protected disk. However, they do export those things, so I
>doubt it's strong.

Well, I think one way to find out is to create 2 identical zip disks and
encrypt them with different passwords. Then do sector by sector compare
and see where the beast is hiding at :)

Leo.

Thread