1997-01-09 - Re: The Upcoming DES Challenge

Header Data

From: Patrick May <pjm@spe.com>
To: Dan Geer <geer@OpenMarket.com>
Message Hash: b31bc8ac31ad99db20d488b4d487dbe045941db79bec251522d058d6f3c87e2f
Message ID: <199701092146.NAA02693@gulch.spe.com>
Reply To: <85263054520588@cs26.cs.auckland.ac.nz>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-09 22:07:52 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 14:07:52 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Patrick May <pjm@spe.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 14:07:52 -0800 (PST)
To: Dan Geer <geer@OpenMarket.com>
Subject: Re: The Upcoming DES Challenge

Dan Geer writes:

 >     I'm still a bit nervous about what the reaction will be though
 >     - won't the US government (and anyone else pushing DES) be able
 >     to say "It took 10,000 Pentiums several weeks, noone would
 >     bother doing that, so it's safe"...
 >
 > this seems a good moment to remind ourselves
 > that we will never know as much about another
 > cipher as we know about DES.
 >
 > ipso facto, i'd like to simply use the efficiency
 > of price discovery by auction and see what I can
 > buy the DES-key-of-your-choice for.  my bet: there
 > are a lot of interesting DES keys available for
 > less than $10K

     This is an excellent idea.  Do the rules of RSA's challenge allow
for bribing the holder of the contest keys?  What a headline --

          "DES Challenge Broken In 15 Minutes"

Then there's the rubber hose method....

Patrick May
(who does not advocate the initiation of force for a mere $10k)

Thread