1997-01-15 - Re: Airport security [no such thing]

Header Data

From: Joel McNamara <joelm@eskimo.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cccbeafc4321461a3accf6639e0dbe5cf02bbf58bf09e22a892bd3cfa8f85950
Message ID: <3.0.32.19970115072852.00dea020@mail.eskimo.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:30:26 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Joel McNamara <joelm@eskimo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:30:26 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Airport security [no such thing]

US airport security is a joke compared to other places in the world.

Contrast Lucky's account with my last trip through Germany.  Carry-ons
x-rayed.  Pat down search by white gloved personnel.  Asked to take photo
with my camera (to demonstrate it was real).  Full power-on of laptop.
Laptop weighed and checked against book containing manufacturer's specs.
And this is standard, not because I was flagged as an evil Cypherpunk or
fit some profile.  Everything done very efficiently, with few delays.

Your mileage may vary.  I've been in other places, where US airport
security looks like Fort Knox.  The main reason (no matter where you go) is
unmotivated, minimum-wage, rent-a-cops placed in a tedious work environment.

Joel

Ob-Crypto: During some real serious globe-trotting over the past couple of
years, no one has ever looked at the contents of my hard drive.  Even when
I've been detained by customs (non-US), doing a pretty detailed search of
my luggage.

Thread