1997-01-18 - RE: Airport security [no such thing]

Header Data

From: Internaut <unde0275@frank.mtsu.edu>
To: “‘snow’” <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Message Hash: dae2af00a1a3251a8e2c9fef6f6cfa84d5166f837860900fa075b7a7f0ba81c3
Message ID: <01BC04DF.D5F8C600@s10-pm06.tnstate.campus.mci.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 23:36:55 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Internaut <unde0275@frank.mtsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 23:36:55 -0800 (PST)
To: "'snow'" <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Subject: RE: Airport security [no such thing]

snow wrote:
> I say we make people fly naked and ship their stuff via UPS ;).

    >>shudder<<

    No!. A clear case of the cure being worse than the disease...

I was just kidding.  We do have to take on risks, like people wearing
clothes, carring packages, ect.  As Igor Chudov @ home wrote recently in
the Newt's phone calls thread:

> I would not be worried about this issue at all. The world at large is
> insecure in very many respects: it is easy to find out credit card
> numbers, overhear conversations, install hidden microphones, hack
> into computers, etc etc. It does not mean that we should stop all
> activity simply because there is "some" risk of losses.

We have two seemingly conflicting desires: the desire for security and the
desire for privacy.  I do not call being searched "privacy" yet I do not
call not being searched "security".  We need to find creative resolutions
to these conflicts.

Of course, it is debatable if there is even an expectation of privacy on an
airplane.  I don't mind terrably being searched in an airport by security
because I don't expect the privacy.  I expect security.  I don't want to
die.  If I have things I don't want them to see, there are other ways to
get it there. I would worry if they cataloged what I had in a database and
sold it to others.
 The service is just that -a service.  It is not a right.  We can travel
other ways, too.
My late night ramblings cease, Internaut

Thread