1997-01-29 - Re: Last nail for US crypto export policy?

Header Data

From: “Z.B.” <zachb@netcom.com>
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Message Hash: e3d6caae5df94d581357e44a55447d4c60adf4eed3dd286faa3f3c76fd63f0dd
Message ID: <199701290640.WAA21235@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 22:40:46 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Z.B." <zachb@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 22:40:46 -0800 (PST)
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Last nail for US crypto export policy?

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997 stewarts@ix.netcom.com wrote:
[snip]
> >EXPORTABLE CRYPTOGRAPHY TOTALLY INSECURE: CHALLENGE CIPHER BROKEN IMMEDIATELY
> >
> >January 28, 1997 - Ian Goldberg, a UC Berkeley graduate student,
> >announced today that he had successfully cracked RSA Data Security
> >Inc.'s 40-bit challenge cipher in just under 3.5 hours.
> >Goldberg used UC Berkeley's Network of Workstations (known as the NOW)
> >to harness the computational resources of about 250 idle machines.
> >This allowed him to test 100 billion possible "keys" per hour --

Good grief...I just remembered that this challenge started today when I
read this letter.  A question - how does DES differ from the RC5 cyphers
that are also up for breaking?  Where can I find some software to use on
these?

Zach Babayco

zachb@netcom.com <-------finger for PGP public key

If you need to know how to set up a mail filter or defend against
emailbombs, send me a message with the words "get helpfile" (without the
" marks) in the SUBJECT: header, *NOT THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE!*  I have
several useful FAQs and documents available.

Thread