1997-01-12 - Re: John, Sandy & the Dr. DV K Conspiracy Theory

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Message Hash: f8dc76756d0e386c9c367dda5a89ba3429977b31f8966408cca0ac0aa1a7d5e8
Message ID: <32D851C6.5EB5@gte.net>
Reply To: <R5wD1D68w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-12 02:57:05 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 18:57:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 18:57:05 -0800 (PST)
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Subject: Re: John, Sandy & the Dr. DV K Conspiracy Theory

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> Someone writes:
> > Dr. Vulis, A lot of things surrounding the upcoming 'moderation'
> > of the CypherPunks list just don't seem to add up.

> If you think their agenda is what I think it is, then it all adds up.[snip]
> >   Notice, please, that John and Sandy have remained above the
> > fray. They have been content, until very recently, to let the
> > dogs tear at each other's throats (and let the 'voters' take
> > part in self-delusional schemes and scenarios, constructing
> > 'moderation systems' in-the-sky). And now Sandy begins to step in,
> > replying only to his 'supporters' (like a 'staged' political rally),
> > gracefully accepting their kudos in his assumption of benevolent
> > dictatorship. (Complete with assurances that there is no 'enemies list'.)

Of course, Dimitri, you and I are just paranoid. John Gilmore is really
Mother Teresa, and he dedicates his time and valuable equipment solely
to our personal betterment.  John has no agenda other than the uplifting
of mankind.  How could *anyone* possibly think that what John says and
what John really means could be two different things.

Now, I've stated this on the list before, but nobody's reading us, so
it won't matter if I repeat it [hee hee].  John has the full attention
of the FBI, CIA, and several other such orgs (any disputing that?).
Those guys are about as likely to allow John to do whatever John wants
as they are likely to allow you and I to run our own currency exchange
in Barbados, unhampered by them.

This cuts both ways:  If Gilmore kept the list open, the feds can sit
on their butts and troll to their hearts' content.  One presumes the
list is a good source of names and info, even if some of the names are
just connections to other leads, in other areas of business even.

If Gilmore wrecks the list, it has the very distinct possibility of
discouraging a *successful* replacement list for some time to come,
perhaps forever.  Think about how successful the assassination business
was for the feds for some time - today they get patsys and hide them
away for years awaiting trial, while the feds run their cases almost
entirely through the media.  Gilmore's silence has a familiar ring....

Thread