1997-01-14 - [HIP] Hacking In Progress 1997

Header Data

From: “Maurice Wessling” <info@hip97.nl>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ff3b29046b72002596592eaf0b7ede04f3fc5c4cbf2a15f3e1dd8ee6411a31f5
Message ID: <199701141819.TAA18108@magigimmix.xs4all.nl>
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:19:39 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Maurice Wessling" <info@hip97.nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:19:39 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [HIP] Hacking In Progress 1997

Announcing HIP'97:  A hacker convention and festival in the
Netherlands on the 8th, 9th and 10th of August 1997.

Version: 8 January 1997

Latest news at http://www.hip97.nl/

What is HIP?
------------

HIP is an acronym for `Hacking In Progress'. It will take place on
the Friday 8th, Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th of August 1997 at
campsite Kotterbos, Aakweg, Almere in The Netherlands.

Remember `Hacking at the End of the Universe' (HEU) in 1993?
The people that published Hack-Tic, a computer underground
magazine in The Netherlands, organized it. Hundreds of
hackers, phone phreaks, programmers, computer haters, data
travellers, electro-wizards, networkers, hardwarefreaks, techno-
anarchists, communications junkies, cyber- and cypherpunks,
system managers, stupid users, paranoid androids, Unix gurus,
whizz kids and warez dudes spent three days building their own
network between their tents in the middle of nowhere, located
in the Flevopolder in The Netherlands.

HIP will be the sequel to HEU. A campsite full of PCs, laptops,
and Unix machines, all connected via an intertent Ethernet that
is connected to the Internet. People from all over the
Netherlands and other countries will come together to learn and
discuss the benefits, as well as the risks of new technologies.
They'll listen to lectures, join workshops, enjoy special
presentations and, last but not least, party, all of this in a
friendly open-air environment of a very wired campsite far away
from the civilized world.

HIP will happen on the same days as `Beyond Hope', a hacker
convention in New York, organized by the people of 2600
Magazine (http://www.2600.com/). There will be audio and
video links between both events, and we're working on cool
gadgets to further enhance your sense of `grassroots
telepresence'. This will be a twin-event in the true sense of the
word.

Who is organizing HIP?
----------------------

Once there was a little magazine in The Netherlands called
`Hack-Tic', and it published wild ways to play tricks on the
information infrastructure of the world. The magazine doesn't
exist anymore, but most of the people that wrote articles for the
magazine or helped organize Hacking at the End of the Universe
(1993) and even some of the people that helped put up the
Galactic Hacker Party (1989) are still in touch with each other.
The every-four-year-itch has gotten to us again...

It's going to be quite a project to organize something that is
better than HEU, but we're not facing it alone. We'll get lots of
people to help us.
The hackers that were present at HEU have successfully
infiltrated in key positions to aid in the upcoming political
takeover as was agreed. Many have the agreed-upon provisions
in their job contracts since 1993, stating they would need time
off for the final strategic meeting.

HIPcamp and HIPnet
------------------

There'll be no hotel rooms or anything like that so you'll want to
bring at least a tent and a sleeping bag to HIP, even if this
means you can't bring the paper-tape unit that came with your
VAX 11/780. We'll supply a campground, toilets, showers, good
food and electrical power (as close to 220V/50Hz as possible)
and we'll do our best to supply everyone who wants it with an
Ethernet connection. You will probably be able to trade wiring,
extra outlets, Ethernet cards, and the use of modular crimping
tools for almost anything.
HIPcamp will open on August 5th, three days before HIP starts.
If you decide to join in that early expect pretty primitive
circumstances. If you don't care about that, or think that's the
best part, you can help build HIPnet and all other facilities.

HIP stuff
---------

A lot can and will happen in the coming months, and we'll keep
adding new topics even during the event itself. But we're
definitely going to discuss the legal situation regarding
encryption, as well as the latest technical developments in this
field. The current decay of the Usenet, copyright issues,
censorship as well as many other legislative, social political and
technical issues surrounding Internet will be discussed.
Computer security, or the lack thereof will also be a hot topic.
We'll have research workshops (i.e. GSM and chipcard security)
and you can also join many `how-to' workshops and lectures
where you can pick up on Linux (Unix you can run at home, not
built by Microsoft), perl (a very powerful computer language)
and many, many other topics.

Tired of all these lectures and workshops: just sit down, smoke or
drink socially accepted substances, interact with other humans,
volunteer for kitchen work and have a good time. We've had
people at the previous event that were not into computers at all,
and they had fun.

We'd like to receive as many ideas from you as possible at this
stage. So if you (and some of your friends) want to organize a
lecture or workshop, please let us know. If you keep having this
wacky dream about some project or construction that would work
really well in an environment with lots of other freaks, this is your
call to action. We dream of an event with thousands of creators
and no audience.

No audience?
------------

We'll try to offer different ways for the Internet population to
truly interact with the events at HIP. Please get in touch if you'll
have some friends at your house and you want to have CU-
SeeMe or other connections to us. We'll also be broadcasting
live and buffered feeds of audio and video on the net. Mass-
media coverage will be provided for the interactively challenged.

I want to be HIP too!
HIP announcements written by us. You can also participate in
the ongoing, yet slightly messy debate in the newsgroup
alt.hacking.in.progress. If you can't find the newsgroup don't
contact us. Refresh the grouplist in your newsreader or ask your
access provider to check their newsfeed.

As time slides by we'll have separate mailing lists for the
preparation of research workshops, pictures and maps of the
campsite and more detailed descriptions of workshops and
lectures. If you think we're forgetting anything, please let us
know.

If you don't have access to the web you can subscribe to the
announcement mailing list by sending an email message to

    majordomo@hip97.nl

with the line

    subscribe hip-announce your_email_address

in the body of the message.

Announcements will also be posted in alt.hacking.in.progress.

How to get to HIP
-----------------

HIP will happen at campsite `Kotterbos', Aakweg, close to a city
called Almere in the Netherlands. The campsite is at about a 30-
minute drive from Amsterdam, along highway A6 to Lelystad.
The nearest train station, Almere-Buiten, is four kilometers
away. More information and maps will be on the website when
the time comes.

Press
-----

All press is welcome to visit HIP, but there will be a few strict
rules. All members of the press will pay the entrance fee, no
discussion about this. There will be a part of the campsite that
is off-limits to all press. No filming, photographing or recording
is to take place there. Some people like to have a press-free
moment, some have employment-related reason for shunning
media attention.

What else?
----------

Many more things could be said but it is still a bit early. The
main networking tent and the bar will be open 24 hours a day
and we'll have a depository to stash your laptops, backpacks
and other valuables. We haven't figures out the exact entrance
fee, but, just like HEU, HIP is going to be a non-profit event.
And if you haven't guessed it yet: All workshops and plenary
events will take place in English.

How to get in contact with us
alt.hacking.in.progress. If you have ideas or proposals mail
them to info@hip97.nl or snailmail us:

Hacking In Progress
Postbus 1035
1000 BA  Amsterdam