1997-02-28 - DNSSEC Encryption for DNS registration and ITAR Nonsense

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 08dd5f7346d9f53e183bb0a3e1689c475e52d034b7ec1a67b8f657e1fd3a59c1
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970227203009.00629a08@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199702120859.AAA27060@songbird.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-28 04:33:07 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:33:07 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:33:07 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: DNSSEC Encryption for DNS registration and ITAR Nonsense

At 10:14 AM 2/12/97 -0500, "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee@cybercash.com> wrote:
>People may want to note that yesterday (Feb 11th) the IESG approved the DNS
>dynamic update and DNS secure dynamic update (draft-ietf-dnssec-update-04.txt
>and draft-ietf-dnsind-dynDNS-11.txt) as Proposed Standards.  The base DNS
>security protocol was approved some time ago and is now out as RFC 2065.

Details are on http://www.tis.com/docs/research/network/dns.html
It's a very interesting page - pointers to the RFC
http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2065.txt ,
and downloadable beta code from TIS implementing it.  Cool stuff.

But then there's the politial correctness part of the web page :-)
> Trusted Information Systems, Inc. has received approval from the
> United States Government for export and reexport of TIS/DNSSEC software
> from the United States of America under the provisions of the Export
> Administration Regulations (EAR) General Software Note (GSN) license
> exception for mass market software.  Under the provisions of this license,
> this software may be exported or reexported to all destinations except
> for the embargoed countries of Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea,
> Sudan and Syria.  Any export or reexport of TIS/DNSSEC software to the
embargoed
> countries requires additional, specific licensing approval from the
> United States Government.

Yup.  Can't let those Cubans secure their DNS.....  At least the government
did decide to permit export.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread