1997-02-05 - Re: GAK/KR spin

Header Data

From: “Bill Campbell” <wcampbel@peganet.com>
To: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 20ed8bd2b9f5e021b7e6a26c023467cd82b98ee24d7ab374a792cf79bfb3d8d9
Message ID: <199702050714.CAA15573@mercury.peganet.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:22:43 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Bill Campbell" <wcampbel@peganet.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:22:43 -0800 (PST)
To: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: GAK/KR spin

Steve Schear said:

>Several months back there were discussions on the list regarding renaming
>the government's key escrow/recovery proposals (KRAP comes to mind).  I
>think we need something that's catchy and simple (perhaps already familiar)
>to understand for the semi-litterate citizen units.  I propose we encourage
>use of the terms "crippleware" or "crypto crippleware" when refering to the
>products limited to their weak crypto and/or key escrow/recovery.

Another point on all this that was made by Matt Blaze at the RSA
conference (and that I have been making to all my friends) is that Crypto
is basically a "solved" problem. The government's efforts to impose
GAK is in effect transposing a "solved" problem into an "unsolved"
problem - due to the inherent problems with any conceivable
GAK "solution". I thought this was a very good case against GAK.

=Bill=

Thread