1997-02-06 - Re: ITAR and Paper ROM

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 2e3775522f8810ad61933cbcffa78be278e2799531bed017d4bdd7f4bf76a7fa
Message ID: <199702061456.GAA24462@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 06:56:00 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 06:56:00 -0800 (PST)
To: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: ITAR and Paper ROM

At 09:26 AM 2/5/97 -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
>I'm not sure if what I did in the 80s, trying to create what I called
>'paper ROM, is applicable. [....]
>to replace diskettes for inexpensive mass data distribution.
> Although a technical success, I abandoned the effort
>when I discovered someone had patented (4,488,679) something similar a
>few years earlier.

Yeah, our patent office is so helpful - granting a patent for
	"Storage of Information By Making Marks On Paper" :-)
You'd think they'd recognize a few thousand years of prior art.....

Xerox also has a similar patent; their method uses little diagonals
to encode data in. ///\\\///  It really _isn't_ called "cuneform".

More practically, sort of, there was the Cauzin Softstrip Reader,
which cost about $200 and held enough data to distribute programs
back when computers and programs were much smaller; a few PC magazines
tried distributing programs by printing them in the back that way.
Cute, but not cute enough to stick around very long.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread