1997-02-04 - Re: New X-Ray Imager

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Message Hash: 4ccbc94811cb750281ed709bed8922adb2ed7a33b30a2a80b02084c6241e708e
Message ID: <3.0.32.19970204105556.00704204@192.100.81.136>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:55:31 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:55:31 -0800 (PST)
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Subject: Re: New X-Ray Imager

At 10:38 AM 2/4/97 -0500, Adam Shostack wrote:

>| A poll last week by the Los Angeles Times found that a majority of
people --
>| 58 percent -- said they would curtail some civil liberties if it would help
>| thwart terrorism. Thirteen percent said it would depend on what rights were
>| at stake. The poll didn't ask people to single out any rights.
>
>	Its worth noting the 'if it would help thwart terrorism.'

It is irrelevant if terrorism is indeed be thwarted. The public does not
require this to happen. All that matters is to generate the *perception* of
increased security, not to increase security itself.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi

Thread