1997-02-16 - Re: More on digital postage

Header Data

From: omegam@cmq.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4cf0791146aba7741a289128ff6e8d183f46b979ba6722558b346fc7b1d3f5f4
Message ID: <199702160656.WAA27618@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:56:32 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: omegam@cmq.com
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:56:32 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: More on digital postage

Peter J. Capelli writes:

 >  I pay for my phone service;

I assume you pay a flat rate and not by the incoming fax!

 >  I pay for my fax, toner, and
 > paper.  If they use my property without getting permission first,

So, if a person uses a computer fax-modem and, therefore, paper,
toner, etc. aren't used, does this change the situation?

Suddenly we're very close to the situation of junk-email.  (Except
that the sender of the junk fax incurs long-distance charges, if there
are any, not to mention he pays for the phone service the same as you
do)

 > I believe
 > that *is* ( or should be ) illegal.

"There should be a law!"  5 of the ugliest words in the English
language when put together.

Look.  I understand your sentiment and junk faxes piss me off as well,
but the cost of government regulation is too high in my opinion.  As
I'm sure you're aware, government does a *great* job of creating
sensible and useful regulations.

Unfortunately, fax machines can't distinguish the text of messages, so
you can't do filtering or bounce messages, etc.  (Although I have been
known to send a nasty reply fax or two.  And I never fail to call the
send of the fax to complain and have the junk faxes terminated)

 > Your argument that my plugging a fax
 > machine itno a phone line I know it will answer, even if it is unauthorized,
 > is tantamount to saying that if I leave my keys in my car, anyone can take
 > it, and legally so!  While it may be foolish to do that, being
 > foolish is not
 > a crime

You purchased the fax equipment.  Why should the government regulate
its usage for you?

Ideally, the manufacture of fax machines which are able to
authenticate a sender in some manner before permitting the actually
permitting transmission of the fax out to paper would likely eliminate
junk faxes.

Of course, this would involve strong encryption.  And -- wouldn't you
know it! -- that's covered by a range of confusing and threatening
federal regulations

Omegaman <mailto:omegam@cmq.com>|"When they kick out your front door,
   PGP Key fingerprint =        | How are you gonna come?
   6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2      | With your hands upon your head,
   59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63      | Or on the trigger of your gun?"
Send email with "get key" as the| -- The Clash, "Guns of Brixton"
"Subject:" to get my public key |   _London_Calling_ , 1979