1997-02-05 - Re: Moderation, Tim, Sandy, me, etc. * Strong crypto == DES?!

Header Data

From: Marshall Clow <mclow@owl.csusm.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6e5dc98e2d8f44243b64ed7e3f78e6fe131d829de4f8b886aa2356028e18e82f
Message ID: <v03101401af1dc1f4dc39@[207.67.246.99]>
Reply To: <199702050027.QAA08784@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-05 04:58:26 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 20:58:26 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Marshall Clow <mclow@owl.csusm.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 20:58:26 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Moderation, Tim, Sandy, me, etc. * Strong crypto == DES?!

At 4:05 PM -0800 2/4/97, aaron@herringn.com wrote:

>If I might make a suggestion:
>
>Some people want moderation. That's fine, I've never been very big on
>letting other people choose what I read, but some people want it.
>
>For those who want it, let someone moderate the list for as long as
>they care to do it. Approved messages get a "X-sandy-approved"
>header. The responsibility for setting up a filter to toss everything
>that doesn't have the header is the responsibility of the end user.
>Toad will need to filter incoming posts to make sure they don't come
>"pre-approved", but that's the only hole I can think of.
>
>Everyone gets all of the Cypherpunks list. Those who want moderation
>filter the unapproved posts, those who want all of it get all of it.
>
>Hopefully, this will make (almost) everyone happy.

I like this idea.
However, I would suggest an additional refinement:
	Implement a cypherpunks-moderated list which
is all the 'approved' messages. This way, people who wish
to have the benefits of a filtered list are happy, people who
wish to have posts rated for them (but be able to check on
the "rater") are happy, and people who wish to see every
message are happy.

(I know that John has concerns about toad's mail capacity,
and this may be too big a load)

ObCrypto policy:
	Was anyone else besides me amazed by the guy
from Deloitte-Touche at the Internet Privacy Coalition luncheon
last week? I mean, he all but advocated violent overthrow of
the government. D-T is the most "establishment" of the big-6
accounting firms, last time that I looked.

It's a weird world when we have a representative of a
company that makes a living advising people on how to
obey government regulations advocating civil disobedience.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Aladdin Systems   <mailto:mclow@mailhost2.csusm.edu>

Warning: Objects in calendar are closer than they appear.

Thread