1997-02-05 - Re: Moderation, Tim, Sandy, me, etc. * Strong crypto == DES?!

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “E. Allen Smith” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Message Hash: 6f02aef4257448cc2067b17a776169e0ecc33259432e1a69b210e350f7f6ee00
Message ID: <199702050730.XAA18236@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:30:01 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:30:01 -0800 (PST)
To: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Subject: Re: Moderation, Tim, Sandy, me, etc. * Strong crypto == DES?!

E. Allen Smith wrote:
> From:   IN%"gnu@toad.com"  "John Gilmore"  4-FEB-1997 12:20:22.10

> >Tim, the Cypherpunks have chosen to follow Sandy's lead for this
> >month.  I'll admit I made it easy for them, but the results are
> >conclusive.  There are 1311 addresses in the cypherpunks list today;
> >42 in the unedited list; and 19 in the flames list.  Forty people
> >cared enough to read every posting; the other thousand either wanted
> >to try the experiment -- or didn't care enough to send an email
> >message.  Which, as we all know, is a very low threshold.

>         You're making an invalid assumption... namely that people who
> stayed on the moderated list are neccessarily wanting it to be the
> main list. This isn't the case with me, for instance. I'd also point
> out that some of us - including me - were taking the time to take a
> look at what happened with the moderated list. On the one hand, it
> did result in a decrease in the trash messages... on the other hand,
> it also drove away 1+ good posters (TCMay for one).

What's really ironic here is that given three people who have knowledge
of crypto/politics and something to say, the lesser two drove the best
one away.  Boo, hiss.

Thread