1997-02-01 - Re: “Secret” Postal Device stolen

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 80be5ea96fa3f80dfe123e53375f5d409cedd01a9a81595adee6d85ed7ac16b1
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970201115431.047a4e50@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199702011640.IAA20586@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-01 19:57:04 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 11:57:04 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 11:57:04 -0800 (PST)
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: "Secret" Postal Device stolen

>>>Postal Service offers $25,000 reward for stolen . . . something

I got the impression the author was struggling very hard not to say
	"I swear I'm not making this up"
"But I can't say that - it's Dave Barry's line"  :-)

At 09:39 AM 2/1/97 -0500, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>Mail Storage Box keys?

I was also guessing keys - truck keys are a less subtle target than
box storage keys, and telling every thug in the country that
mail trucks are an easy target, just take the keys from the carrier,
seems almost worth sounding really stupid in public to avoid.
They did say that it wasn't something they carried in their pockets,
but do mail carriers hang their keys on their belts?
My wife's guess was that they didn't want to admit they carry Mace
or equivalent, though everybody knows it.

I also enjoyed the description of one of the weapons as a
"steering wheel locking device"
	"The Club - Police recommend it!"

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread