1997-02-18 - Re: Anyone have the complete info on CP list alternatives?

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: Alan Barrett <reece@taz.nceye.net>
Message Hash: 8406a518867404a476dfe9f7473257245493de5ce0b8fe84c4eef6b1188412ee
Message ID: <v03007800af2f876176ce@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <19970218141819.28530.qmail@taz.nceye.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-18 16:16:01 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:16:01 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:16:01 -0800 (PST)
To: Alan Barrett <reece@taz.nceye.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone have the complete info on CP list alternatives?

At 5:35 PM +0200 2/18/97, Alan Barrett wrote:
>On 18 Feb 1997, Bryan Reece wrote:
>> Filtering out other gateways' messages will reduce load at
>> the possible expense of delay (assuming a smallish network of news
>> servers that feed each other the list; obviously the message will
>> flood the majordomo net before it floods the real usenet unless
>> something is seriously broken).
>
>Why is it obvious that mail propagation will be faster than news
>propagation?  News propagation times of small numbers of seconds are not
>at all uncommon.

News propagation in seconds to your _local server_, or to _distant_
servers? Articles I post do indeed appear "immediately" on my local site,
but certainly not so immediately on distant sites.

The Usenet is thousands of news servers, maybe tens of thousands, and news
feeds take a while...small articles are mixed in with hundreds of megabytes
a day of binaries. A percolation process, as opposed to a point-to-point
process for e-mail.

And I know that my site sometimes does not see articles for tens of hours,
even days, after the initial act of distribution. (Sometimes articles
appear more than a week late...presumably they've been lost to mu site on
some railroad siding someplace.)

This is why people say "News is slower than mail."

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"