1997-02-20 - FWD: (CHANGE: NUVUPSY - Against the therapeutic state)

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 866da82375afe2f8ada8df3cc2251d6aa623f03b508a382f01e6275e52c00c3f
Message ID: <199702202057.MAA22533@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:57:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:57:45 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: FWD: (CHANGE: NUVUPSY - Against the therapeutic state)

Tell me what this has to do with cryptography, and I'll give you a nickle.

Or, maybe not...

;-).

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

--- begin forwarded text

Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:48:47 -0600
Sender:       NEW-LIST - New List Announcements <NEW-LIST@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU>
From:         "Dr. Jeffrey A. Schaler" <JSCHALE@american.edu>
Subject:      CHANGE: NUVUPSY - Against the therapeutic state
To:           NEW-LIST@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU

NVVUPSY has moved to a new server and has a new E-mail address.

NUVUPSY on LISTSERV@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU

    "Although we may not know it, we have, in our day, witnessed the birth
    of the Therapeutic State.  This is perhaps the major implication of
    psychiatry as an institution of social control."  (Thomas Szasz, 1963)

    NUVUPSY is a forum to share points of view critical of the "therapeutic
    state" and institutional psychiatry, and those supportive of contractual
    psychotherapy and psychiatry.  We're interested in discussions concerning
    the relationship between liberty and responsibility and its implications
    for clinical, legal, and public policy.  The list will serve to promote
    alternative views to explaining unwanted behaviors.

    Sociological perspectives on the medicalization of deviant behavior are
    welcome.  Other topics for discussion include but are not limited to:
    The myth of addiction as a disease;  the ideology of biological
    determinism;  the obsolescence of the schizophrenia hypothesis;  coerced
    treatment for addiction and First Amendment rights;  criticism
    of psychiatric drug prescriptions;  etc.

    NUVUPSY Board of Advisors include:  Bruce K. Alexander, Phil Brown,
    Robert C. Carson, David J. Essex, Louis B. Fierman, Robert E. Haskell,
    Reid Klion, James C. Mancuso, Roberta Russell, Theodore R. Sarbin,
    Jeffrey A. Schaler, and Richard E. Vatz.

    Archives of NUVUPSY mail items are kept in monthly files.  You may obtain
    a list of files in the archives by sending the command

      INDEX NUVUPSY

    in the BODY of e-mail to LISTSERV@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU

    (NUVU as in "new view", V=vee)

    To subscribe, send the following command in the BODY of mail to
    LISTSERV@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU

       SUBSCRIBE NUVUPSY yourfirstname yourlastname

    Owner:  Jeffrey A. Schaler, Ph.D.  jschale@american.edu
            Martin W. Smith            mws@metis.no
            NUVUPSY List Coordinators

                                 -------
Use this information at your own risk.  For more information and disclaimer
send E-mail to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU with the command  INFO NEW-LIST
in the body.

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"Never attribute to conspiracy what can be
explained by stupidity." -- Jerry Pournelle
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/rah/
FC97: Anguilla, anyone? http://www.ai/fc97/

Thread