1997-02-01 - Re: Crypto in New Zealand - an update

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 919134ae14898bb4334b9e34329ecae0fc7d8457fb69cf60720c8db1b98c39ba
Message ID: <3.0.32.19970201151843.006ec2d0@192.100.81.137>
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 15:31:24 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 15:31:24 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Crypto in New Zealand - an update

At 06:03 AM 2/2/97, pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz wrote:
[...]
>The following week Andrew Mayo wrote a letter to the editor of the NBR
>containing an eloquent defense of the use of encryption to protect personal
>privacy.  MFAT replied to say that they were only following orders, and were
>required by the Wassenaar agreement to restrict crypto exports:
[...]

Just for clarification, it is the Wassenaar *arrangement* (somehow the term
is more fitting anyway...) and it does *not* require the signatory
countries to implement crypto export controls.

Not that this will make any difference, since it would be the first time
that a government would allow facts to stand in the way of politics.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi

Thread