1997-02-16 - Re: More on digital postage

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 955cb5cd44547494fed2528be2f4ff91430004628a1b6c20d1ceb2722b761e1a
Message ID: <199702160111.RAA14498@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:11:48 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:11:48 -0800 (PST)
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: More on digital postage

jim bell allegedly said:

> No, you're taking the issue to ridiculous extremes.    That's why we have
> doors, and locks, etc.  And, for that matter, "No trespassing" signs.
>
> But having an address, and a walkway, and a doorbell is generally considered
> if not explicit permission, but at least toleration of the idea that
> somebody can walk up and knock on the door, etc.

But if someone leans on my doorbell for 4 hours solid, I can call the
police and have them carted away.  Carried to extremes, it's criminal
trespass.

> Having a telephone with a
> number that anyone can dial is going to result in some level of intrusion.
> Having a fax machine is a similar issue, unless technology provides a way to
> block unwanted faxes.
>
> I certainly don't claim that we shouldn't try to do anything about these
> limitations!  Quite the opposite, technology should be employed to protect
> privacy.  But faxes are not fundamentally different than telephones,
> doorbells, and walkways:  They facilitate interaction, even potentially
> undesirable interaction.

And, just as in the case with my doorbell, when the undesirable
interaction gets past some reasonable limit, legal action can be taken.

> >	Nope. Sure I realize that they _can_, but that doesn't make it right,
> >and it doesn't make it legal.
>
> "Legal" is an arbirary concept; the opposite, "illegal," is merely what some
> bunch of brainless legislators get together and disapprove.

Arbitrary or not, it has real world consequences.  But then most
things with real world consequences are arbitrary, unlike libertarian
fantasies, which enjoy the luxury of unreality.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com,kc@llnl.gov		the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread