1997-02-18 - Re: European crypto export policy

Header Data

From: “Jeff A. Hale” <csla@intersurf.com>
To: cryptography@c2.net
Message Hash: a73d4dbad8f435c797c254a4d3f8e47ef86bca88f08b702cc758baea5a513879
Message ID: <199702181541.HAA06054@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 07:41:26 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Jeff A. Hale" <csla@intersurf.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 07:41:26 -0800 (PST)
To: cryptography@c2.net
Subject: Re: European crypto export policy

At 02:39 AM 2/18/97 +0100, you (Ulf M=F6ller) wrote:
>Swedish Datateknik 97-02 features an article about how COCOM/ Wassenaar
>Arrangement effects Swedish crypto exports.
>
>I wonder if someone whose Swedish is better than mine could summarize
>the article? It is at http://www.et.se/datateknik/arkiv/97-02/5.html
>
>Datateknik 97-01 reports about pressure for crypto regulations from
>the US, but also from the EU and OECD [the OECD turned out not to
>endorse key escrow shortly after the article was published]. The
>Swedish government is currently collecting facts and opinions; so far
>it remains an open question which standpoint it will take. England is
>preparing a law similar to the French one, while there are policy
>discussions similar to the Swedish going on in Germany and Denmark,
>says G=F6ran Axelsson, Sweden's representative in the EU's IT security
>body.

The Japanese are not far behind.  Using the emotional -- and often
successful -- pretext of "anti-terrorism," (the subway gassing allegedly
committed by the "Aum Cult"), the Japanese Ministry of Justice (JMOJ) is
about to propose a sweeping new wiretapping/electronic eavesdropping statut=
-- which insiders predict will sail through the Diet (national legislature)=

Thread