1997-02-12 - Re: Moderation experiment almost over; “put up or shut up”

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com
To: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Message Hash: b3b81a0b42460e514134fcd20d3b464905d4ae9f6dc01b9cf54e6b654d73b6e0
Message ID: <199702120256.SAA04862@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 18:56:43 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 18:56:43 -0800 (PST)
To: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Moderation experiment almost over; "put up or shut up"

John Gilmore wrote:
> A pentium is definitely up to this task.  I've been running it the
> whole time on a slower 40MB SPARCstation-2 (that also runs netnews and
> general computing).  Give it a big /var/spool partition (mine is 60MB)
> because every message will sit in the queue for days (*somebody* on
> the list will have an unreachable name server or MX server until the
> msg times out).  Give it lots of RAM and paging space, since each
> sendmail process takes about 2MB virtual, 1.4MB physical, and you will
> have dozens running at the same time.
>
> The new version of majordomo (that allows confirmation of
> subscriptions) will help a lot.  It needs a small patch though, to do
> exponential backoff on the lock file, or when you get a flood of
> messages, thirty majordomo processes will burn up the whole machine
> trying and failing to get the lock file.
>
> You'll need a BIG mailbox for the bounce messages, and someone (or
> some unwritten software) to scan it every day or two and delete the
> lusers whose mailboxes are full or who dumped their account without
> unsubscribing.  The bounce mailbox on toad gets between 1 and 4MB of
> email a day; more when the list is under attack.
>
> You'll want to run the latest version of BIND on the machine, too,
> since doing DNS name-lookups on a thousand email addresses is expensive.
> You want them all in the in-memory cache on the same machine.  The
> name daemon burns about 7MB virtual, 5MB real RAM once its cache
> gets loaded.
>
> Make sure that every message sent to the list gets into at least
> two logfiles -- on separate partitions, in case one fills up.  At
> least if you want to have an archive of what's been sent.
>
> >      I can provide a pentium box running Linux with a T1 connection to
> > MAE-West to host the list, if there is still interest.
>
> Make sure you are getting "transit" service to the Internet, instead
> of trying to cheap out with "peering" to a few major networks.
> Without transit service ("we'll carry your packets to anywhere even if
> the destination is not on our network") you won't be able to route
> packets to some places on the net.  This will cause mail to those
> subscribers to sit in the queue for days and then bounce.
>
> The real issue is how willing you are to put your own time into
> dealing with problems.  Not only do things go wrong by themselves, but
> there are malicious assholes in the world who will deliberately make
> trouble for you just because they like to.  Spending a day or two
> cleaning up the mess is just part of the job.  Check your level of
> committment two or three times before taking on the task -- so you
> won't end up getting disgusted after a month or two and putting the
> list's existence into crisis again.  It's not a "set it up and forget
> it" kind of operation.

Listen to it, John is absolutely right. Running a big mailing list is
an incredible commitment and it is important to realize what you are
getting into.

Another suggestion may be to set sendmail expire option to one day
instead of five so that messages that cannot be delivered would bounce
faster and not clog the queue.

	- Igor.

Thread