1997-02-07 - Re: WANTED: Tolerant, anonymity-friendly news admins

Header Data

From: aga <aga@dhp.com>
To: ISP_Ratings <boursy@earthlink.net>
Message Hash: bdd9abf54013344db4a40e8bf363268db32b858fb4eb59b2a6ea820e868da56e
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970207050959.17740D-100000@dhp.com>
Reply To: <32FA7951.38A3@earthlink.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-07 10:15:09 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 02:15:09 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: aga <aga@dhp.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 02:15:09 -0800 (PST)
To: ISP_Ratings <boursy@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: WANTED: Tolerant, anonymity-friendly news admins

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, ISP_Ratings wrote:

> lcs Remailer Administrator wrote:
> >
> > Because of recent attacks on the remailer network and mail2news
> > gateways, I may loose access to at least one of the news servers I
> > currently feed news to from my mail2news gateway.

Who attacked the network and for what reason?

> > If you are a news administrator, believe in free speech and anonymity,
> > and you would like to help the cause, please consider giving transfer
> > (aka "IHAVE" or "hosts.nntp") privileges to this machine.  You will
> > not be the only server, and so do not need to worry about being the
> > point of entrance of mail2news articles to Usenet.
> >
> > Please contact me if you can help.  Thank you.

Well, just who is cutting you off and for what reason?
And what is their telephone number?

> > For those who oppose the existence of mail2news gateways, you should
> > know that we are taking steps to limit the abuse.

Just what is your definition of "abuse?"

However, doing so
> > without in any way limiting articles that abide by the usage policy is
> > tricky, and must be done carefully.  Please be patient.
>

>   I'm writing from the Freedom Knights list but am in no way
> representing them.
>
>   What exactly do you mean by 'taking steps to limit the abuse'?
> Personally I think much of what is called abuse is nonsense and
> that all posts, with the exception of cancels/NoCems should be
> propogated regardless of content (including what is currently
> referred to as spam).
>
>   Also--could you forward to the Freedom Knights list a copy of
> your 'usage policy' and impressions on the Freedom Knights two
> FAQs.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>   Steve

Thread