1997-02-07 - Re: Cypherpunks FOIA request

Header Data

From: John Pearson <john@cognac.apana.org.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d0e0218fafa4aa7c40775973e412fc493cb4daaa847bc441bed9477db1a0db33
Message ID: <199702071956.LAA29471@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 11:56:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Pearson <john@cognac.apana.org.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 11:56:45 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cypherpunks FOIA request

> On 1/18/97, I sent freedom of information act requests to the FBI (main and
> San Francisco offices), CIA, NSA, and Secret Service, asking them for copies
> of information in their files relating to or referring to the cypherpunks
> list, the cypherpunks meetings, and copies of any messages sent from or to
> "cypherpunks@toad.com".

[...]

> I'm not sure what I think about the response from the SF FBI branch - it
> seems unlikely that they'd never have paid any attention to the list, given
> the media coverage in Wired and other places. On the other hand, maybe the
> FBI doesn't read Wired. :) While they're not supposed to be monitoring
> noncriminal domestic activity, I figured they'd at least have something about
> the Mykotronix stuff.

If you think so, you may wish to consider filing an FOIA request
for the Mykotronix stuff, and see if it mentions cypherpunks;
it could provide an interesting perspective on their response.

John P.
john@huiac.apana.org.au

Thread