1997-02-07 - Re: anonymous remailers

Header Data

From: Chuck Fender <chuck@wazoo.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d27028014dfb8e68c057e0c15ed11bafc849aa651ad3356536d9e2dcdbd11387
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970207075655.006cd9fc@wazoo.com>
Reply To: <199702062314.PAA02544@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-07 16:21:22 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 08:21:22 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Chuck Fender <chuck@wazoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 08:21:22 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: anonymous remailers

At 05:40 PM 2/6/97 -0500, you wrote:

>c.musselman@internetmci.com (Charley Musselman) writes:
>> C'punks --
>>         When I told a friend about the alt.drugs.pot cultivation newsgroup
>> and suggested that he use an anonymous remailer to post to the group,
>> he laughed and said, "Who do you suppose runs the remailers?  ATF,
>> FBI, DEA, that's who!"  Gee, it makes sense to this paranoid.  Does
>> anyone know the answer?  Specifically, how can we choose a trusted
>> remailer?
>
>The solution is not to choose a trusted remailer, but to choose a
>group of remailers and send your message through each one

I run an anonymous remailer. I have a mixmaster type at mix@wazoo.com nd a
cypherpunk type at remailer@wazoo.com. Also, there is a WWW interface at
http://www.wazoo.com/~remailer.
I know that my system doesn't keep any recorders except number of messages
that go through. I am a "secure remailer". Before I set up the remailer, I
did a lot of soul searching, knowing that somewhere along the road I could
help a "baby raper" or something else I find morally objectionable. I came to
the conclusion, and I still think it is the right conclusion, that the public
service offered by an anonymous remailer far outweighs the disadvantages of
potentially helping someone I personally find objectionable.
Setting up a remailer, for someone that is already running a domain, is easy
enough to be almost trivial. With the explosion of domains the internet has
seen in the past couple of years, at least some of the remailers have to be
honest and not fronts for the DOJ, FBI, and whatever other alphabet
orginizations...
Obviously, you are thinking that any FBI agent that wanted to could post
this exact message, and YOU ARE RIGHT!
Take advantage of a string of remailers. Use proper encryption, so that none
of them know more than the next hop. Make sure you vary the order of
remailers you go through with each message.
Being cautious, you can be almost 100% certain your message is anonymous.

Chuck
Sys Admin...
Wazoo's Computers
======================================
PGP key for remailer@wazoo.com available from all public key servers of by
fingering: remailer@wazoo.com...help file available by sending mail to
remailer@wazoo.com with a subject of remailer-help
For those that missed or already deleted the list, here are some places to
find more about remailers:
http://WWW.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/cypherpunks/remailer/
http://www.stack.nl/~galactus/remailers/index-anon.html
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~raph/remailer-list.html

*          Wazoo's Computers            *
* Alamogordo's Internet Access Provider *
*           (505) 434-5090    *