1997-03-22 - Re: Jackboots in Canada

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: Eric Murray <camcc@abraxis.com
Message Hash: 23ce16129879004f01db2cebe3fec69163de820486d0b03e9b0fbd47b4ff5766
Message ID: <v03007800af58d81fe7b6@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.1.32.19970321083409.007cfe80@smtp1.abraxis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-22 00:23:22 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:23:22 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:23:22 -0800 (PST)
To: Eric Murray <camcc@abraxis.com
Subject: Re: Jackboots in Canada

At 2:30 PM -0800 3/21/97, Eric Murray wrote:

>That last part just floored me, how could anyone be willing to throw
>away rights like that?  At least here in the US they're not so
>obvious about it- the cash (or cars or computers) are seized and
>presumed guilty until proven innocent, and of course you can't mount a
>defense if everything you own is seized and your bank accounts frozen, but
>you're still presumed innocent.  It was that evil CASH that did it.

Well, combine this revocation of rights in Canada with today's report that
Britain plans to license crypto, and with the discussion a few weeks ago
about how Anguilla and similar countries lack formal constitutions, etc.,
and one can see what is going on: most countries are "ad hocracies," making
up rules as they go along.

For all its many faults, the United States has a strong constitution and
laws are often thrown out completely because they conflict with the U.S.
Constitution.

The danger I see is that the U.S. is moving closer every day to becoming
another ad hocracy, with the regulatory and administrative powers of the
government ever more stifling and controlling.

(By the way, on the "licensing of crypto," the U.S. is about to cause
Europe to do to itself what the U.S. is essentially unable to do within the
U.S., namely, force central control of cryptography, ban rogue use, and
basically criminalize any unauthorized use. David Aaron and Louis Freeh and
the rest of the OECD/Wasenaar/NSA cabal have done their jobs well.)

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"