1997-03-11 - DCSB: Stewart Baker on Clinton Administration Crypto Policy andDigital Commerce

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: DCSB Distribution <rah@shipwright.com>
Message Hash: 55aee969e96e1d0cdbe8946b06f78fb8a7b713a1d482d877214f805d8887372c
Message ID: <v03020911af4b15d75de2@[139.167.130.246]>
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 06:49:12 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 06:49:12 -0800 (PST)
To: DCSB Distribution <rah@shipwright.com>
Subject: DCSB: Stewart Baker on Clinton Administration Crypto Policy andDigital Commerce

                 The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                               Presents
                           Mr. Stewart Baker,
                           Steptoe & Johnson
         formerly General Counsel, the National Security Agency

         "The Clinton Administration's Latest Encryption Policy
                and What It Means for Digital Commerce"

                        Tuesday, April 1, 1997
                               12 - 2 PM
                   The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                     One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Mr. Baker will discuss the details of the Clinton Administration's latest
encryption policy, which seeks to encourage "key recovery" encryption by
offering special export privileges to companies that support key-recovery
systems.  He will also discuss the reaction of American high-tech
companies, foreign governments and consumers.

Mr. Baker, formerly General Counsel of the National Security Agency, has an
international and technology practice at Steptoe & Johnson in Washington,
DC. He is a frequent contributor to WIRED and other publications on topics
such as encryption, national security and Internet law.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held on
Tuesday, April 1, 1997 from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of the
Harvard Club of Boston, One Federal Street. The price for lunch is
$27.50. This price includes lunch, room rental, and the speaker's lunch.
;-).  The Harvard Club *does* have dress code: jackets and ties for men,
and "appropriate business attire" for women.

We will attempt to record this meeting and put it on the web in RealAudio
format at some future date

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we *really*
know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston", by
Saturday, March 29, or you won't be on the list for lunch.  Checks
payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston will have to be
sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The Harvard
Club of Boston".

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements (We've
had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for instance),
please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can work something
out.

Planned speakers for DCSB are:

May    TBA
June   Philip A. DesAutels  W3C Digital Signature Initiative
July   Win Treese           TLS, Digital Commerce, and Export Issues

We are actively searching for future speakers.  If you are in Boston on
the first Tuesday of the month, and you would like to make a
presentation to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program
Commmittee, care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: rah@shipwright.com> .

For more information about the Digital Commerce Society of Boston, send
"info dcsb" in the body of a message to <mailto: majordomo@ai.mit.edu> .
If you want to subscribe to the DCSB e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb" in
the body of a message to <mailto: majordomo@ai.mit.edu> .

We look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,
Robert Hettinga
Moderator,
The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"Never attribute to conspiracy what can be
explained by stupidity." -- Jerry Pournelle
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/rah/

Thread