1997-03-19 - Re: Market Failures, Monocultures, and Dead Kids (Oh My!)

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@amaranth.com>
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Message Hash: 786f0866bd0024c97c2ac9cf20a908d22a10bf26cbfc856bb5824e923e32f709
Message ID: <199703190057.AAA02562@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:51:53 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:51:53 -0800 (PST)
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Market Failures, Monocultures, and Dead Kids (Oh My!)

In, on 03/18/97 at 10:07 PM,
   Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net> said:

>William H. Geiger III wrote:
>>    dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM) said:
>> >Suppose X chooses to innoculate their kids and Y chooses not to innoculate
>> >their kids against, say, polio; and Y's kids get it. They're not going to
>> >give it to someone whose parents chose to innoculate them. (This is a kind
>> >of borderline example, not unlike circumcision.  The individual affected
>> >by the choice is too young to understand what it's all about, but doesn't
>> >want to be stuck with a needle. Why are the parents more qualified to make
>> >decisions for him than the state?)

>> The issue of who is more qualified is irrelevent.
>> The parents are the ONLY ones who have a right to determin the welfare of
>> their childern. If the parents determin that the risks of reaction to the
>> innoculation outways the benifits that choice is their's and their's alone.

>I inherited three kids (9, 11, and 13) in November, and am starting to get
>used to the schools' intrusions just now.  So far, I've prepared one form
>for the kids to hand to the teacher when there is an off-campus trip
>scheduled.  Like who's driving, are they certified by the school board,
>chaperones (who are they), etc.

>Recently they did a surprise dental inspection of the youngest kid. I'm
>preparing a form to tell the schools that any certification they require
>on the kids as to health, etc. will be provided by our doctors, not
>theirs, so the kids can skip their inspections. So far I haven't met with
>any serious opposition, but who knows?

>(I'm informing them that I'm a Puritan, and follow very strict religious
>practices)

>Today's Long Beach paper had an extensive article on "pregnancy counciling
>support groups" for sixth grade girls (in Santa Ana?), and the "support
>groups" were mandatory. Religious fundamentalists are certain to hit the
>ceiling on this one - not just the increase in sexual awareness aspect,
>but the hoodoo-voodoo aspect of a "support" group that smacks of New Age
>practices (their article, not mine).  According to the article, the groups
>have an amazing record, i.e., pregnancies down by 80% or more among the
>teenage girls.

Well the best way to aviod all this is to "Home School". In the end they
will get a much better education and they woun't turn out to be lock-step
robots for the STATE.

This requires a two parent home though (politically incorrect these days)
and a wife with a few brain cells. :)

The next best thing is a private school but even they are being corrupted
by all this touchy feely crap. Still better than sending them to the
STATE'S reeducation centers.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

Finger whgiii@amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info

Tag-O-Matic: I don't do Windows, but OS/2 does.

Thread