1997-03-13 - Re: TEMPEST protection

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “Cynthia H. Brown” <cynthb@sonetis.com>
Message Hash: a04e4c9436d48afd386e9b5dcf3b3f0569a984bbbb26bf64385df851c32b69c9
Message ID: <33278DC0.60D4@gte.net>
Reply To: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.970312113344.21996D-100000@mrburns.iosphere.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-13 05:17:21 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:17:21 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:17:21 -0800 (PST)
To: "Cynthia H. Brown" <cynthb@sonetis.com>
Subject: Re: TEMPEST protection

Cynthia H. Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Dale Thorn wrote:
> > Actually, the computer you type on will be very easy to pick out
> > of the noise field with modest spy equipment sitting down the street.

> Other places to look for emissions: the power supply, and the connection
> points for peripherals.  Make sure you leave adequate ventilation, though
> (another tricky part).

Funny thing was, first time I used PGP I was typing in a passphrase
and apparently PGP was doing something to the keyboard processor
on my laptop, because all of a sudden I thought I'd gotten bat's
ears - I could hear interesting new noises every time I pressed a
key, which I hadn't heard before (at least at an audible volume).

It occurred to me that typing in a PGP passphrase would be a
particularly bad time to increase the emissions....

Thread