1997-03-11 - Re: Money Laundering (fwd)

Header Data

From: Vincent Cate <vince@offshore.com.ai>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c64c2117bf81f814dc38a10463c38b967a884a4c5dda41d6379b87d3cac6b3b8
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970311004319.519E-100000@online.offshore.com.ai>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970311004307.594A-100000@online.offshore.com.ai>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-11 04:39:04 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:39:04 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Vincent Cate <vince@offshore.com.ai>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:39:04 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Money Laundering (fwd)

> On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Vincent Cate wrote:
> > So we had like 50 people from FC97 asking questions of several Anguillian
> > lawyers.  At the moment there is no law against money laundering.  But
> > they are thinking of having a law (drafts out) that would make money
> > laundering a crime.
>
> This puzzles me. I missed some of the session you refer to, but I did do
> an interview with Victor Banks, the Minister of Finance, and Lynwood
> Bell, whose Hansa Bank is the last surviving indigenous Anguillan bank,
> and both of them were very very definite that money laundering is
> absolutely prohibited.

Ya, absolutely prohibited.  But not by law, yet.  Soon come.

> Were they just putting a good face on things for the press? I'm quite
> willing to believe this. But how can we know for sure, either way?

No, they really don't want any money laundering.  Maybe they were holding
off on that law change so that the USA gov could run a money laundering
bank here for awhile.  But the US seems to think their bank has done
enough money laundering and they shut it down.

   --  Vince

Thread