1997-04-19 - State of the Nation

Header Data

From: Shift Control <nobody@faust.guardian.co.uk>
To: shiftcontrol@nml.guardian.co.uk
Message Hash: 28bbd2e2f358ba1b8d0e092874184f763187049069ce973fcaae01a74d308988
Message ID: <199704181143.MAA11601@faust.guardian.co.uk>
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:42:50 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Shift Control <nobody@faust.guardian.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:42:50 -0700 (PDT)
To: shiftcontrol@nml.guardian.co.uk
Subject: State of the Nation

Introducing....
The State of the Nation Issue of Shift Control

If aliens landed in Britain with the aim of finding out what's up these days,
they'd be in for a confusing time. Politicians - our leaders - are being chased
by headless chickens and hacks on smack, while other hacks rage against "sleaze"
and try to be politicians themselves. Unemployment figures are down, though they
might be up. Ministers disagree with their parties while simultaneously agreeing
with their parties. When we think we're eating lamb we might be eating beef.
And millions of people buy Spice Girls records. It'll take more than a fancy
spaceship to figure out the state of the nation these days.

Undaunted, we decided to have a go anyway in this week's issue of Shift Control.
We've asked Johnny Foreigner to give us an outsider's view of Britain; citizens
of Middle Britain send us postcards profiling life in their home towns; Robin
Hunt tries the statistical approach in the hope of finding some coherent
indications as to where the country's heading; and Rada Petrovic explores her
local haunt - Kentish Town, London - as a microcosm of the nation. Plus our
quiz asks: how wild are you about Britain?

Also this week: the usual mountain of humour and perspicacity, including more
memoirs from Freebee (our resident rock historian), new fiction from Miles
Gregory, and, if you're quick, details on how to obtain free tickets to the
fourth annual Unconvention in London.

Shift Control: in a fine state and waiting for you at:
http://www.shiftcontrol.com

Shift Control is produced by the Guardian's New Media Lab with help from
Boddingtons and Stella Artois Dry.

To unsubscribe from this mailing list send e-mail to
shiftcontrol-request@nml.guardian.co.uk
with the following text in the body of the mail message:
unsubscribe

Thread