1997-04-08 - Blanc Weber / Positivist Schill

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: Blanc Weber <blancw@MICROSOFT.com>
Message Hash: 43bb3bbc674476a78f89ff2a562a3d385fa3c7ba5b1000b07e44fc84164ba37d
Message ID: <3349C881.2F87@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <88CE23A0B727D0118BB000805FD47524014383C2@RED-81-MSG.dns.microsoft.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-08 04:23:16 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:23:16 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:23:16 -0700 (PDT)
To: Blanc Weber <blancw@MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: Blanc Weber / Positivist Schill

Blanc Weber wrote:
> In "Human Action", by Ludwig von Mises, he explains very well how
> nations which restrict their market options create the tensions and
> circumstances which lead to wars between them.

  All of the good computer gurus I know have degrees in Political
Philosophy, and the like. You must be one of them.

> I was considering, likewise, that the current developing technologies
> might open up people's imagination to so many interesting things to do
> and new ways to get what they are after, creating a sense of
> "possibility", rather than "impossibility", that this would affect their
> outlook on life and their attitude and turn their attention to more
> positive things beyond killing - that is, beyond the idea of achieving
> freedom from certain influences by killing the source of those
> influences.

  Are you part of a cypherpunks list conspiracy to balance my
cynicism? Are you actually suggesting that there may be a spark
of hope for mankind to prevail in the battle with the forces of
mindless robotic sheepnocity?

> In the "new world order", those influences would not be so threatening,
> as there would exist ways to route around them.  This could reduce the
> tensions which would otherwise arise, leaving the mind open to more
> productive considerations, freed to think less in terms of destructive
> methodologies.

  You seem to be one of the eternal optimists who can even see
the possible good in AP.
  I suggested in a recent post that perhaps Green Peace could use
the AP system to drain the profit margins of whalers without
actually causing their death. Of course, I was low on Scotch at
the time, so my idea cannot be taken seriously.
--
Toto
"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"

Thread