1997-04-26 - Alternative Reality

Header Data

From: Shift Control <nobody@faust.guardian.co.uk>
To: shiftcontrol@nml.guardian.co.uk
Message Hash: 442dc2a891a62977f28cf325dd31731dd65d20ec5987c0832cdaabe5d41227ab
Message ID: <199704251130.MAA15499@faust.guardian.co.uk>
Raw Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:27:04 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Shift Control <nobody@faust.guardian.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:27:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: shiftcontrol@nml.guardian.co.uk
Subject: Alternative Reality

Introducing... the Alternative Reality Issue of Shift Control.

This week:

"Inject it a number of times over a period of several hours and you will
experience what psychology textbooks refer to as an "out-of-body experience".
This is a recurrent theme in descriptions of the ketamine experience - the
mind, spirit or soul leaving the body... Ketamine has similar mental effects
on some animals - especially monkeys, who have been observed trying to swot
non-existent flies while under its influence." - Alex Bellos on ecstasy's
latest rival

"Only sleep, books and disk storage mechanisms, with computers becoming our
third lobe, allow us to cope with a world of accelerating travel and electronic
communication. But these extensions to the human brain capacity will ultimately
become inadequate, and so we might consider something new: the prospect of an
implanted third lobe." - Peter Cochrane on building alternative human realities
through technology

"'Bud Hopkins, psychiatrist and expert on alien abductions' - just the man's
name got me salivating. My brain whirred with associations. Bud equals Yank,
Yank equals alien, alien equals cool... 'Did you see that bit in episode 27
when you could see Scully's cleavage as she e-mailed Mulder?' a voice whispered
near to me. It was clear that experts in alien abduction were not to be messed
with." - Leo Hickman on the fourth annual UnConvention of paranormal phenomena

Also this week: a squeaky clean way to play with yourself in the bath, a chance
to write your own film reviews, more memoirs from Freebee the bee, £200 up for
grabs in another short story competition, and a chance to win dinner for two at
your favourite curry house.

Shift Control: altering your perceptions of the net and waiting for you now at
http://www.shiftcontrol.com