1997-04-05 - Re: Feds reading this list, Jim Bell, and threats

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7009e62ea4114e94ecc64ac850daa444d8d1080194c3a2542df5f82e8a1ec457
Message ID: <v02140b05af6b7e0fa243@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 20:01:57 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 20:01:57 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Feds reading this list, Jim Bell, and threats

>  Pardon me for beating my Hitler analogies to death, but when
>Hitler was Fuhrer, the trains ran on time. I have no problem
>with those who supported him for this reason. However, as his
>administrative policies began to increasingly infringe on the
>lives of others, it was up to each participant in his ruling
>party to decide for themselves what was an acceptable level
>of power/control over the citizens, and what was not.

Unfortunately, by the time he really impacted personal liberties it was too
late, as his power was consolidated and the citizenery disarmed (1935).

--Steve

>> I've never argued that those who get caught breaking a contract shouldn't
>> face the consequences--providing others in the society honor the contract!
>
>  This begs the question of who is to decide whether or not
>society is honoring their part of the contract.
>  Arguing that society/civilization is doing a fairly decent job
>"for the most part" does not negate the fact that if an individual
>is taking it up the ass, he or she will not be inclined to take it
>sitting down.

Yes, much better to hang from the ceiling.

>  Native Americans are the prime example of a group who were
>subjected to severe penalties for failing to "honor the contract"
>while their oppressors felt free to dishonor the contract at
>will by virtue of superior firepower.

Hopefully, what goes around comes around.

>  Individuals have the freedom to sabatoge systems which they
>see as injust and oppressive. To suggest that the average person
>will abuse that right, and thus has no conscience, is to suggest
>that the average person has less right than corporations to decide
>what is right and wrong.
>  It is my own belief that fears surrounding employees making
>morally based decisions of this nature are a result of the
>knowledge that many corporate entities fall short of meeting
>even rudimentary standards of moral values.

"I don't want to rock the boat... I want to sink it."  Putney Swoope

>TruthMonger

Thread