1997-04-04 - Re: Feds reading this list, Jim Bell, and threats

Header Data

From: null@myemail.net
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 98c1baba881ca9c67b67e0da24d26d67572722adb30418a1ab6d52ccf29f0c02
Message ID: <19514280601774@MyEmail.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:51:59 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: null@myemail.net
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:51:59 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Feds reading this list, Jim Bell, and threats

Hallam-Baker wrote:

> Timothy C. May wrote:

> > Political advocacy is one thing, but making threats, even veiled ones, is
> > another matter.
>
> Absolutely, that is why I was keen for people to oppose Bell's views.

  Horseshit. Anybody here ever hear of the Boston Tea Party? How
about the American Revolution?  War of Independece? French Revolution?
  You know, people who said "Fuck this shit, I've had enough." People
who acted in concert to fight injustice and oppression.

  Perhaps Phill and Tim might want to take afternoon tea together
and watch the tanks roll by, since Hitler only wants Austria...
Poland...France...Britain...........
  I haven't noticed anyone on the list suggesting that they are
going to wait to buy a gun until they hear a burglar/murderer
coming through the window.
  If we are going to castigate someone for suggesting ways to take
action against oppressive taxation, then perhaps we should call
the Queen of England, tell her we're sorry for our forefather's
error in judgement, and that we'll start flying the Union Jack
again.

> If his ramblings had gone unchallenged he would now be being
> presented as a representative of Cypherpunk/ pro-crypto views.

  Excuse me? Only people whose views you personally approve of
should be presented as a representative of cypherpunk views?
  I hate to burst your bubble, Phill, but everyone on the list
is a representative of cypherpunk views and people outside the
have a right to pick and choose the various viewpoints as they
see fit.

> some of my relatives are in government and have
> had well publicised assasination attempts against them.

  So did Hitler and Mussolini.

> I think that Bell's on-list comments may well have been protected
> speech but I'm not sure about his off list comments.

  Then why bring it up? To cast vague aspersions?

> I think that Bell's posts were entirely different from Tim's or
> for that matter almost every other person on the list. Tim
> demonstrated that a covert information sales organisation was
> possible with Blacknet but he never advocated setting it up.

  So you're calling Tim a blowhard who likes to play at anarchy
but lacks the balls to propose anything concrete? *
{* DisinfoTranslation Technique (c) Greg Broiles}

> Indeed part of the point was the ethical responsibilities. Bell
> on the other hand was likely to respond to any post with his
> AP piece. I have throughout considered these to be incitement to
> murder.

  Your own propensity for murderous thoughts in no way reflects on
other individual's interpretations of Jim Bell's intentions.
  Certainly Jim Bell tended to answer questions such as, "What day
is it?" with a speech on AP, but what do hashcash programmers
discuss? Hashcash. What does anyone talk about? The things they
have an active interest in? So what's your point?

> It seems quite likely that Bell may have made a statement to an
> IRS official that in the context of his authoring the AP piece
> may have constituted a threat.

  It seems quite likely that Hallam-Baker is inventing facts which
don't exist because he is being paid to do so in order to do a
character assassination on Jim Bell.
  Anyone else want to jump in with off-the-wall claims about what
is "likely" and what is not?

  It seems to me that many list members have their heads further
up their ass than the Feds, since they don't even view Bell's
threats serious enough to even arrest him. They are on a simple
fishing expedition to try to find a cause to harrass him into
shutting the fuck up.

  A *true fact* (rather than vague bullshit about what is "likely")
is that John Perry's remailer *was* used to send direct threats
to a government official.
  So, Tim and Phill, which one of you wants to step up to the plate
and be the first one to attempt to ostracize him so that his views
about the need for anonymous communications will not be taken as
representative of the cypherpunks views?
  Or is Perry's implementation of a system that can be abused to
be allowed while Bell's theoretical design of a system to fight
oppression is not to be allowed?

  Does the government wait until the enemies missles are launched
to start preparing plans for defence and counter-attack?
  It is outright riduclous to suggest that individuals and groups
should act otherwise, and contrary to their own self-interest.

  Government and corporate entities are regularly castigated on
the cypherpunks list as thugs who must be dealt with in one manner
or another. Various levels of action are suggested in relation to
the severity of the infringement on our interests.
   Jim Bell's pet project was to work on a solution for problems
which reached the point of requiring the ultimate action--total
removal of the threat. Each cypherpunk had his or her own views
of what constituted a problem of that magnitude.
  To suggest that any cypherpunk should not be allowed to express
his or her opinion in regard to who his solution might apply to,
and why, is not much different than saying that none of our
discussions should address specific issues, only generalities.
  This is akin to saying that we cannot mention older people,
or sick people, when discussing euthanasia.

  Excuse me, but someone is shooting at me.
  I need to go buy a gun...

TruthMonger

 This Anonymous email has been relayed by http://www.MyEmail.net/
 MyEmail.Net is a free anonymous mailing service. No records indicating
 the identity of person(s) who originated this message are retrieved
 electronically, or as a requirement to submit. Your email address can
 be blocked to prevent further contact from this service, please refer
 to the URL above for instructions on how to do so.