1997-04-20 - Re: David Friedman and assassination politics

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Jim Bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: c84167da16d6a621d8e078ab942fa02b092484e795d56aa75971bcf9cf5afca6
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970420140053.26056E-100000@well.com>
Reply To: <199704202015.NAA01741@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-04-20 21:16:34 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:16:34 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:16:34 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jim Bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: David Friedman and assassination politics

Jim,

For the record: I doubt everyone agrees with your "libertarianism is
intertwined with assassination politics" line... I suggest that one can
believe in minimal government and other libertarian mainstays without
seeing a need to kill off those whom we dislike, be they IRS agents or
surly supermarket clerks.

-Declan

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Jim Bell wrote:

> At 00:36 4/20/97 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> >These ideas is of course not new to cypherpunks. We've been talking about
> >them for years. But these ideas are slowly infiltrating the DC body
> >politic. Assassination politics, here we come -- right, Jim? Want to give
> >a speech at Cato?
>
> I'd be proud to do it.  Even after everything that's happened so far.
>
> Strike that; ESPECIALLY after everything that's happened so far!
>
> The way I see it, they're going to have to deal with this issue eventually,
> and it's possible that it won't be obvious to them that libertarianism and
> AP mix.  Indeed, I think they MUST mix; we have no choice in the matter.

Thread