1997-04-01 - [NOISE] labelling requirement in EDSA 1997

Header Data

From: Raph Levien <raph@acm.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cb23d9a9bb004d69504be232a7c12d405ffe8a6bd88068ed585bef6c9d93199d
Message ID: <33416EA3.51EA17A@acm.org>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:22:03 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Raph Levien <raph@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:22:03 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [NOISE] labelling requirement in EDSA 1997

Cypherpunks,

   One of the more disturbing pieces of the Electronic Data Security Act
of 1997 is the requirement that encryption software be labelled as to
whether it uses Key Recovery Agents. While most cypherpunk-friendly
software will be proud to label itself as non-GAKked, it seems to me to
be fairly ominous, and is an important step towards banning non-GAK
crypto altogether.

   I think it would be cool to combine the labelling requirement with a
public relations campaign, not unlike the blue ribbon of last year.

   My proposal for the "no GAK" logo: a yellow star. To me, the
symbolism is pointed and poignant, but on the other hand it may come
dangerously close to invoking Godwin's law. If anyone else has any ideas
for a logo that would get the point across equally well but be a little
less controversial, I'd like to hear them.

Raph

P.S. My work on distributed key publication for the Internet is
progressing very well. I'll give an update at the next bay area meeting,
and there will be some UC Berkeley tech reports soon too. If my ideas
fly, they will make Key Recovery Agents moot for a lot of people.

Thread