1997-04-13 - Re: NSA on GAK

Header Data

From: geeman <geeman@best.com>
To: John Young <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e4434b0fd600ee4bf4eb28e1fd17ea47948665c3bf5e62abbd93f525275bf2ff
Message ID: <3.0.32.19970413094112.006df174@best.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 09:47:53 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: geeman <geeman@best.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 09:47:53 -0700 (PDT)
To: John Young <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: NSA on GAK

[I think the other exceprt was based on this one, from Charles IX of France in 1563]

Printing press registration may prove essential in making printing and literacy managable
on an international basis. We are not the only country wrestling
with the public safety implications of  printing presses.
France, Israel and Russia recently imposed import and domestic
use restrictions. Several Asian, South American and African
countries have had similar restrictions in place for years. Others
may impose them as  printing presses proliferate.

For many overseas, as well as here, the logic of the need to
balance business imperatives with public safety concerns argues
for printing press registration. The European Union and other confederations
are considering printing press registration-based infrastructures. The world's major
standards bodies are designing future standards so that printing press registration
can be accommodated.

International standards and protocols for printing press registration may prove
essential to hand off national restrictions on  printing and literacy, to
promote a broad export market for printing presses and to establish
a infrastructure acceptable for general international
use. This would accelerate the realization of the promise of information
technology, and that would be in everyone's best interest.

Working in partnership, government and industry together need to
lay the foundation necessary to sustain and strengthen information
security for America. I wish to emphasize that the infrastructure for
printing press registration will be built by industry as a commercial venture.
This task is huge. Collaboration among many partners will be
essential if we are to establish a PPRI that promotes the use of
printing and literacy worldwide.

At 10:47 AM 4/13/97 -0400, John Young wrote:
>Excerpts of remarks by NSA head William Crowell to
>NISSC96, October, 1996:
>
>Key recovery may prove essential in making encryption scalable
>on an international basis. We are not the only country wrestling
>with the public safety implications of unbreakable cryptography.
>France, Israel and Russia recently imposed import and domestic
>use restrictions. Several Asian, South American and African
>countries have had similar restrictions in place for years. Others
>may impose them as strong cryptography proliferates.
>
>For many overseas, as well as here, the logic of the need to
>balance business imperatives with public safety concerns argues
>for key recovery. The European Union and other confederations
>are considering key recovery-based KMIs. The world's major
>standards bodies are designing future standards so that key
>recovery can be accommodated.
>
>International standards and protocols for key recovery may prove
>essential to hand off national restrictions on strong encryption, to
>promote a broad export market for cryptography and to establish
>a key management infrastructure acceptable for general international
>use. This would accelerate the realization of the promise of information
>technology, and that would be in everyone's best interest.
>
>Working in partnership, government and industry together need to
>lay the foundation necessary to sustain and strengthen information
>security for America. I wish to emphasize that the infrastructure for
>key management will be built by industry as a commercial venture.
>This task is huge. Collaboration among many partners will be
>essential if we are to establish a KMI that promotes the use of
>encryption worldwide.
>
>-----
>
>For full talk:
>
>   http://jya.com/nsagak.htm