1997-05-30 - Re: Continuing spam from vulis

Header Data

From: Jeff Burchell <jeff@fat.doobie.com>
To: Paul Pomes <ppomes@Qualcomm.com>
Message Hash: 0bff26a99d2985a75ab8b852865786c18c24930f2b9d60d4bbcb26398bd6a3a5
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.96.970530123734.9455K-100000@fat.doobie.com>
Reply To: <10948.865019869@zelkova.qualcomm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-30 19:58:28 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 03:58:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Jeff Burchell <jeff@fat.doobie.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 03:58:28 +0800
To: Paul Pomes <ppomes@Qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Continuing spam from vulis

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Paul Pomes wrote:

> The wider circulation is due to the complete lack of response from
> remailer-admin@cajones.com.

Be careful when you say "Complete lack of response".  You've got no idea
what I did and didn't do once I got your message.

I have previously talked with the operator of the cypherpunks list (this
was about 2 months ago when someone else was abusing the remailer to post
trash to that list). At that time, I offered the standard good will
gesture that remailer operators can offer: "Would you like me to block the
list, so this remailer won't send anything to it".  Because of the nature
of anonymous remailers, this is about the extent of the action that I can
take.

To this, I recieved a very firm "no!" (cypherpunks is of course a list
where people do have good reasons to use remailers).  Because of that, I
_WON'T_ block cypherpunks, until I am instructed to by May, Gilmore,
Hughes, et.al. Period.  This holds true for all mailing lists. I need to
have authorization from the list maintainer to block the list.

I have added your address to my block list, this remailer won't send
anything directly to you in the future.  If you don't want to read
anything from this mailer that comes across lists, then you should either
manually delete anonymous messages before reading them (the headers and
return address make it obvious when a message has come through a
remailer), or turn on some client-side mail filters.  Your own company
makes a product with adaquate functionality to do this.

-Jeff
Operator... Huge.cajones.com

P.S.  Besides... aren't ad hominum attacks on Tim May a Cypherpunks
      tradition?

P.P.S.  Isn't there a non-flames moderated cypherpunks?  Perhaps you
        want to be on that list instead of the free-for-all.

"When they came for the 2nd Amendment, I said nothing, for I owned no gun
 Then the sixth was next to go, and I remained silent, as I was not on trial
 They took away the fourth, and I said nothing, as I had nothing to hide
 And then they came for the First,  and I could say nothing."

Thread