1997-05-01 - EVENT: FCC Universal Service Hearing to be cybercast online!

Header Data

From: Shabbir Safdar <shabbir@democracy.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 452051aa03d77e7cc1406ca614caa4841db482cf6b16d4336a25f072d8278d26
Message ID: <199705012229.SAA08529@panix3.panix.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 06:59:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Shabbir Safdar <shabbir@democracy.net>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 06:59:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: EVENT: FCC Universal Service Hearing to be cybercast online!

     _                                                             _
  __| | ___ _ __ ___   ___   ___ _ __ __ _  ___ _   _   _ __   ___| |_
 / _` |/ _ \ '_ ` _ \ / _ \ / __| '__/ _` |/ __| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ __|
| (_| |  __/ | | | | | (_) | (__| | | (_| | (__| |_| |_| | | |  __/ |_
 \__,_|\___|_| |_| |_|\___/ \___|_|  \__,_|\___|\__, (_)_| |_|\___|\__|
                                                |___/
                         Government Without Walls

Update No.6              http:/www.democracy.net/              May 1 1997

SIT IN ON LIVE FCC UNIVERSAL SERVICE HEARING: WEDNESDAY MAY 7, 9:30AM ET

The future of Universal Service in the nation's telecommunications network
is one of the key elements of our nation's communications infrastructure.
At issue - how to ensure that citizens who live in rural and inner city
areas have access to advanced telecommunications services, and how to pay
for it.

The 1996 Telecommunications Reform Act directed the FCC to answer these
questions.  After nearly a year of investigation, hearings, and public
comment, the FCC will announce its rules on Wednesday May 7th.

You can join the proceeding live.

Be present, ask questions, and get answers from FCC staff after the
hearing. (FCC staff are not allowed to comment on a matter before the
Commission before the commissioners have made their ruling.)

Best of all, FCC Chairman Reed Hundt will join democracy.net on Tuesday May
13 for an online town hall meeting.  Hundt will discuss the Universal
Service proceeding and respond to questions from Internet users.

         * Universal Service Hearing - How To Participate *

 DATE:      Wednesday, May 7, 1997
 TIME:      9:30 am Eastern / 6:30 am Pacific  (Event will last +/- 3 hours)
 LOCATION:  http://www.democracy.net

In advance of the hearing, please visit http://www.democracy.net for
background information on the Universal Service issue, including links to
various sides of the debate.  You can also submit questions in advance.

LIVE TOWN HALL MEETING WITH FCC CHAIRMAN REED HUNDT: TUESDAY MAY 13, 7PM ET

During the May 7th Universal Service Proceeding, Internet users can submit
their questions and comments via democracy.net.  On Tuesday May 13, FCC
Chairman Reed Hundt will join democracy.net for a live Virtual Town Hall
meeting to discuss the Universal Service proceeding, respond to Internet
users questions, and discuss other Internet-related issues before the FCC.

This is a great opportunity for Internet users to talk with one of the key
telecommunications policy makers.

       * Online Town Hall Meeting with FCC Commissioner Reed Hundt *
                         * How To Participate *

 DATE:      Tuesday, May 13, 1997
 TIME:      7:00 pm Eastern / 4:00 pm Pacific
 LOCATION:  http://www.democracy.net

Visit http://www.democracy.net/ in advance of the event to submit questions.

Additional information can be found at the FCC home page: http://www.fcc.gov

IN OUR ARCHIVE

* ONLINE TOWN HALL MEETING WITH REP. RICK WHITE NOW AVAILABLE IN OUR ARCHIVE!

  "I don't want to minimize the National Security concerns -- these concerns
   are real - but I think we've reached the point where the National Security
   community is going to have to solve these problems in a new world.  You
   can't delay the arrival of the new world forever."

     -Rep. Rick White on encryption at 4/10 democracy.net town hall meeting

 You can listen to the entire transcript of the online town hall meeting, or
 selected excerpts, at http://www.democracy.net/archive/04101997/

* ONLINE TOWN HALL MEETING WITH REP. ANNA ESHOO NOW AVAILABLE IN OUR ARCHIVE!

  "I don't think Congress should rush into making decisions about the
   Internet.  There are still far too many Members that are not users
   themselves, and therefore do not understand the medium."

     -Rep. Anna Eshoo on Congress and the net at 4/16 democracy.net online
      town hall meeting

 You can listen to the entire transcript of the online town hall meeting, or
 selected excerpts, at http://www.democracy.net/archive/04161997/

The democracy.net is a joint project of the Center for Democracy and
Technology (CDT) and the Voters Telecommunications Watch (VTW) to explore
ways of enhancing citizen participation in the democratic process via
the Internet.

To this end, democracy.net will host live, interactive cybercasts of
Congressional Hearings and online town hall meetings with key policy makers.

democracy.net is made possible through the generous support of WebActive
(http://www.webactive.com), Public Access Networks (http://www.panix.com),
the Democracy Network (http://www.democracynet.org), and DIGEX Internet
(http://www.digex.net).  More information about the project and its
sponsors can be found at http://www.democracy.net/about/

To receive democracy.net announcements automatically, please visit our
signup form at http://www.democracy.net/ or send mail to

                     majordomo@democracy.net

         with "subscribe events" in the body of the message.

To stop receiving announcements on the democracy.net "events" mailing list,
please send mail to majordomo@democracy.net with the phrase
"unsubscribe events" in the message body.

End update no.6                                                    05/01/1997