1997-05-15 - Re: The Inducement of Rapid Oxidation of Certain Materials….

Header Data

From: “Graham C. Hughes” <graham.hughes@resnet.ucsb.edu>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 5c00bdd5ee6250bb3690810df0f63de8f4fcff7db95f66af9c2a3a6488fc6192
Message ID: <199705151732.KAA12426@A-abe.resnet.ucsb.edu>
Reply To: <199705151652.JAA13955@fat.doobie.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-15 17:45:42 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 01:45:42 +0800

Raw message

From: "Graham C. Hughes" <graham.hughes@resnet.ucsb.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 01:45:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: The Inducement of Rapid Oxidation of Certain Materials....

> Oh, this is just charming.  People are still dying, and now you're
> going to sit on the sidelines writing email messages to people about
> what they're discussing on some mailing list.

Better than being the one to bring it up in the first place.  Really, is
a crypto list an appropriate place for that sort of tripe, any more than
it is for this?

> > You can't count up human lives and say ``this entity is more evil than
> > this entity.''  It doesn't work that way.  People are people,
> > regardless, and usually don't deserve that kind of premature
> > termination.
>
> Your use of the word "usually" betrays your hypocrisy.  If some people
> "don't deserve that kind of premature termination," it follows that
> some do: presumably those that are more evil than the rest.

I do believe that there are varying degrees of evil, yes.  I do not
believe they can be differentiated by counting bodies.

I remarked `usually', because of a practical bend; the Rhwandans
certainly don't deserve their lot, but there are others who well deserve
premature termination in one form or another; Dahmer comes to mind.  From
time to time, I thought that things would be better off if I were to
simply die.

Put another way, the situation in Rhwanda distorts the usual
life-and-death cycle, by killing indiscriminately people who should live
much longer.  Dahmer, a man who lived in death, could hardly come to a
more appropriate end.

As I look back on that paragraph, I do acknoledge it was poorly worded,
and I apologize for the difficulties.  No one, not even Dahmer deserves
the hardships Rhwandans (to pick a convenient example) are going through.

> So you're saying that fewer people would die in Rwanda if we discussed
> something else?  What exactly is it that you think the members of the
> Cypherpunks list should do about it (assuming for the sake of argument
> that "we" wanted to do anything)?

I just don't think it's appropriate to center a long flame about.  Does
it not cause you, too, anguish to see such a situation fought over like a
dog bone?

- --
Graham Hughes  http://A-abe.resnet.ucsb.edu/~graham/  MIME & PGP mail OK.
(define pgp-fingerprint "E9 B7 5F A0 F8 88 9E 1E  7C 62 D9 88 E1 03 29
5B")
(require 'stddisclaim)

Thread