1997-05-28 - Re: The lights went out in Georgia

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 85aa38670b4ebf69cfc8d01514fefb6f35c5750825b7816f938537af2adca6b5
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970527170546.0073fa80@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970527154305.007098e4@keystone.intergate.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-28 02:38:43 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 10:38:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 10:38:43 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: The lights went out in Georgia

At 01:36 PM 5/27/97 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>>Electronic Frontiers Georgia has set up a key repository for PGP type keys.
>But as Robert knows more directly than I, Georgia also has the "anonymity
>is a crime" laws on the books (an article excerpt is below...doing a search
>on Georgia and anonynimity will turn up a lot of articles).
>So, what will happen if people, entities, remailers, pseudonyms, etc..
>submit keys to this EFF-Georgia repository without providing SS number,
>passport, mother's maiden name, etc.?

It's not really a big problem - the law doesn't forbid the EFF to accept
anonymously submitted communications, it only forbids Subjects of the
State of Georgia to send them.

>(Will Georgia seek the BlackNet operator's extradition for not complying
>with Georgia's law when he submits the BlackNet key? Does the Georgia EFF
>plan to enforce the Georgia law?)

If you don't provide enough address information along with your key
for the Cracker Police to find your True Name and hunt you down,
that's just a shame, now isn't it...  especially if the EFGA doesn't
file a complaint about it.  Besides, how can they extradite someone they
can't find - send polite diplomatic notes to all the governments
in the world asking them to find some unknown character for them?
"Please extradite the usual suspects!"

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread